Wednesday

Georgia on my mind...

I was down in North Georgia last week giving a lecture to the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. For a red state, I like Georgia. I like it mostly because I go down their fairly regularly (I teach every year at the National Criminal Defense College in Macon, GA) and because I have a some friends who do great work down there.


The Hills of North Georgia

Also lecturing at the GACDL conference was my good friend Pete Donaldson. Now Pete is a phenomenal lawyer (I won't even tell you how many murder cases he's won in rural Georgia) a great presence and a very dear friend, and he quoted something in his lecture that I thought was worth reproducing. He attributes it to Cynthia Rosenberry, and it captures nicely the basic contrast in the outlooks of criminal defense lawyers and most other people. In his talk Pete said...

"We, as criminal defense lawyers, are forced to deal with some of the lowest people on earth, people who have no sense of right and wrong, people will lie in court to get what they want, people who do not care who gets hurt in the process. It is our job – our sworn duty – as criminal defense lawyers, to protect our clients from those people."

I couldn't have said it better.

No comments: